ccbc Essex Book Club

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Chapter 4 (or 8)

I'm through chapter 4, or maybe it's 8 depending on how you look at it, and I must say I'm drawn into the quasi story. Although I can't say for certain, I love the book and I loathe it at the same time. It's hard to explain, I like how the numbered chapters are told, you are reading a fictional story told to you about yourself (more so if your male), but the language that 'you' use as well as that of Ludmilla is completely un-natural, I would imagine even so if you were speaking Italian. And who says that abstract can't work? My personal favorite chapter so far is the title chapter 'If on a winter's night a traveler' because how the 'I' character is told from the point of view of the character, not the author pretending to be the character. Particularly I like how the 'I' character has his own consciousness completely separate from the author. So far (as best as I can figure) the 'story' is the numbered chapters and the titled chapters are short half-stories. With any luck I'll figure it all out by the end, and if not I'm not sure I would mind all that much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home